Time: 1 hour
Cost: Toilets range from $125 to $500 on average; materials for installation run about $15.
• Toilet with tank and seat
• Nut driver (optional, but it makes life easier)
• Phillips head screwdriver
• Flathead screwdriver
• Crescent wrench (or ratchet set)
• Channel lock pliers
• Wax ring with bolts included
• Bathroom/kitchen caulking
• Braided toilet connector (most toilets and cutoff valves require a 3/8- by 7/8-inch connector)
• Spare coins (cheaper than toilet shims)
Unless you are a seasoned plumber or have a very strong stomach, I also recommend gloves and a rag for removing the old wax ring and bolt. If you are a seasoned plumber or a dock worker, just wipe the old wax on your jeans.
Raise your hand if you have little kids and are excited by this.